Tuesday, 28 July 2026

Eric's - March 1977

back of a Deaf School programme from March 11 1977

Friday March 4th        Plummet Airlines 


Saturday March 5th  Anti Disco Disco


Monday March 7th         Warm  


Thursday March 10th    Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers
                              + Cherry Vanilla
                              + The Police


Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers - Live 1977


Cherry Vanilla - Liverpool - inspired by this gig at Eric's  

I made the mistake of saying that The Police acted as Cherry Vanilla's backing band.  I was  put in my place by Zecca Esquibol, Cherry Vanilla's keyboard player. Zecca says: 

No, No and NO! How many times must I correct this? Sting and Stewart joined me and guitarist Louie Lepore to be Cherry's backing band, NOT the entire Police. Please read Sting's book for details. Below is a pic of me and Sting on stage in Newcastle with Louie's guitar neck and hand between us. Also, note the references to me and Louie in verse 1 of "Liverpool".


Well, there's no chance I'm going to read Sting's book but I'm sure Gordon backs up Zecca's story.  There's a bit more detail in this very entertaining piece from www.punk77.co.uk  read it here 

Note the references in the song to Louie: Louie left his shoes at the Lion Hotel (Lion Hotel in Warrington, where Cherry Vanilla played the previous evening); Zecca Zecca getting cruised every night; Stewart Copeland: Stewart said this is where the Beatles had played and Sting Sting was eating lunch from a box

Police - 1977



Friday 11th March          
Darts

Darts - Dream Girl - Charlie Gillett - 1977

Saturday 12th March      Rockpile

Rockpile - In Concert BBC - April 1977

Friday 18th March             Buzzcocks - according to Bill Sykes book

Buzzcocks - Breakdown - Roxy - 2nd April 1977

                                                   or 
                                Bert Jansch - according to the handbill 

Bert Jansch (with Mary Hopkin) - If I had a Lover - BBC 1977

Saturday 19th March    Frankie Miller

Frankie Miller - Be Good to Youself - Peel Session May 1977

Friday 25th March         Silly Wizard

Silly Wizard - The Ferryland

Fun Fact: The bass player from The REZILLOS, William Mysterious, was in Silly Wizard!

Saturday 26th March    Wayne County & the Electric Chairs

The Electric Chairs EP - 1977


No comments:

Post a Comment